The Tax Policy team has a strong tradition of finding regional, state and federal bipartisan policy solutions that recognize the innovation economy by bringing California and the U.S. tax codes up to date. Our top priorities are promoting tax policies that are competitive globally and with other states and creating level playing fields for business sales and use and property taxes.
Comprehensive Federal Tax Reform
The Leadership Group supported comprehensive corporate tax reform, including lowering the corporate income tax rate and moving toward a hybrid/territorial international tax system.
Sales Taxes on Services
Successfully opposed legislation that would have imposed tax on services without an exemption for business inputs. The Leadership Group successfully worked with a broad, statewide coalition of businesses and other business organizations to oppose S.B. 993 (Hertzberg), a bill that proposed to tax services purchased or used by businesses in California. The Senate Governance and Finance Committee held SB 993, declining to vote on the bill Instead, the committee planned to hold several additional hearings on the issue.
Block Harmful Legislation
The Leadership Group has opposed harmful and onerous California tax legislation.
In evaluating local and regional tax measures that come before the organization, the Leadership Group will use the following criteria:
- The measure should be for a fixed term and therefore include a built-in sunset (If the measure does not include a sunset, are the reasons for an on-going tax clearly defined?)
- Funds generated by the measure should be used for specific and identifiable purpose(s)
- A consistent dollar amount is applied equally to residential and commercial property parcels
- Measures should be capped at a certain level in consideration of large businesses with many parcels (contiguous parcels for the same business)
- The measure should contain a provision for a citizens’ oversight committee
U.S. Congressional Committees
California Government Tax/Organization Contacts
- Board of Equalization
- Franchise Tax Board
- Senate Governance and Finance Committee
- Assembly Revenue & Taxation Committee
- Assessors Association
County Assessor Offices for the Silicon Valley Region
Tax Policy Committee Meetings
Member-only committee meetings: To learn more about joining the committee please contact Dan Kostenbauder at [email protected].
Co-Chairs: Gus Rivera, Intel, John Despotakis, Apple & Diane Matulich, AMD (Co-Chair Emeritus)
By Willie L. Brown Jr., Special to CalMatters, April 14, 2020 Many opponents of the…
California is in the midst of an unprecedented economic crisis. Small businesses in California face…
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group is interested in tax issues at the state, local, and…
Here's food for thought . . . $2 trillion. Now that is a lot of…