The Housing & Community Development Policy team seeks to improve the quality of life in Silicon Valley by advocating for needed affordable homes that are connected to major transportation hubs on behalf of our 350 member companies. For over 25 years, the Leadership Group has advocated for the construction of more than 80,000 new homes by attending local city council meetings and working with our state legislators on reducing barriers to creating housing.
2019 Local Housing Advocacy
- Endorsed and supported thirteen housing developments that will provide more than 7,000 new homes.
- Leadership Group appointed to City of San Jose, Diridon Station Area Advisory Group (SAAG). San Jose General Plan Task Force, and Santa Clara El Camino Specific Plan Community Advisory Committee.
2017 Local Housing Advocacy
- Supported eleven housing developments that will provide 6,543 new homes in eight cities.
- Adoption of North Bayshore Precise Plan by the Mountain View City Council allowing for 9,850 new housing homes in the area. Partnered with [email protected], Greenbelt Alliance, and local coalition partners.
- Leadership Group’s Senior Director for Housing and Community Development, Nathan Ho, appointed to City of Santa Clara’s El Camino Real Specific Plan Community Advisory Committee.
2018 Local Housing Advocacy
- As of July 2018: Endorsed and supported eleven housing developments that will provide 3,596 new homes in seven cities, 28% of which (1,031 apts) will be affordable housing.
- Of the four developments (1,216 total homes) that have been considered by City Councils, all four projects were approved to move forward. 32% of the homes (387) are affordable housing.
- Leadership Group appointed to City of San Jose, Diridon Station Area Advisory Group (SAAG). Mercury News Letter to the Editor.
2016 Local Housing Advocacy
- Supported developments for 5,688 new homes by advocating before 29 different city councils and planning commissions in eight cities.
- Adoption of the Lawrence Station Area Plan by the Sunnyvale City Council in December 2016. The adoption capped our two-year advocacy effort to revitalize the Lawrence Station Area with high density, transit-oriented, and mixed used development.
- Partnered with California Housing Consortium to co-sponsor “Affordable Housing and CEQA,” a convening of local elected officials, city staff, state appointees and advocates.
- Partnered on the campaign to renew Santa Clara County’s Park Charter Fund. “Yes on A” (June 2016) passed with 78.08% support and ensures that Santa Clara County parks have the funds needed to serve our communities as they grow. Mercury News editorial by the Leadership Group and the San Jose Earthquakes, a member company.
- Member of San Jose’s 2016 General Plan Task Force’s 4-year Review. Advocated for additional affordable housing and Urban Villages near transit centers to move forward more quickly.
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group and the Housing and Community Development Policy team advocate for local, county, and state education legislation and ballot measures based on the decisions of its Housing Committee, Working Council, and Board of Directors. Both bills and ballot measures are presented to these committees for discussion and voting.
2019 State Legislation
Support and signed by Governor
- AB 1482 – Chiu (District 17) Rent Increase Cap
- AB 1485 – Wicks (District 15) Streamlining for Moderate-Income Housing
- AB 1763 – Chiu (District 17) Enhanced Density Bonus for Affordable Developments
- SB 5 – Beall (District 15) Affordable Housing and Community Development Investment
- AB 10 – Chiu (District 17) Expansion of the Low Income Housing Tax Credit
2018 State Legislation
- SB 828 (Wiener) Regional Housing Needs Allocation RHNA Reform – Signed into law
- SB 827 (Wiener) Transit-Oriented Zoning Standards
- SB 831 (Wieckowski) Accessory Dwelling Units ADUs
- SB 1430 (Glazer) Expedited CEQA Process
- AB 1771 (Bloom) Regional Housing Needs Allocation RHNA Reform – Signed into law
- AB 1804 (Berman) CEQA Exemption, Unincorporated County Infill – Signed into law
- AB 2147 (Caballero) Predictability of Development Fees
- AB 2890 (Ting) Accessory Dwelling Units ADUs
- AB 2923 (Chiu, Grayson) Transit-Oriented BART Zoning Standards – Signed into law
- AB 3030 (Caballero) CEQA Exemption, Opportunity Zones
2017 State Legislation
- SB 2 (Atkins) Building Homes and Jobs Act
- SB 3 (Beall) Veterans and Affordable Housing Bond Act
- SB 53 (Steinorth) Homeownership Savings Accounts
- AB 45 (Thurmond) California School Employee Housing Assistance Grant Program
- AB 71 (Chiu) Low-Income Housing Tax Credit allocation increase
Oppose Unless Amended
- AB 59 (Thurmond) Local Housing Trust Fund Matching Grant
Regional Affordable Housing Advocacy Groups
- Non-Profit Housing (NPH) Association of Northern California
- [email protected]
- Housing Leadership Council (HLC) of San Mateo County
- East Bay Housing Organizations (EBHO)
Regional Housing Trusts
Regional Realtor Groups
Housing & Community Development Committee Meetings
"Silicon Valley is being beaten down by its own success, crushed by soul-sucking commutes, unaffordable…
As the tech center of the world for decades, Silicon Valley is synonymous with innovation.…