On Thanksgiving morning, more than 14,000 community members gathered together in downtown San Jose. Their purpose? To personally participate in the sixth annual applied materials “Silicon Valley Turkey Trot,” founded by the Silicon Valley leadership group.
This 5-k run & walk, and 10-k run – after just six years – is now one of the largest “turkey trots” in the United States, out of more than 300 Thanksgiving day races.
While “large” is good, “having a positive impact” is better. Consider these results:
• 14,113 people paid to participate
• They were supported by nearly 900 community volunteers
• We raised more than $400,000 to help our valley’s most needy families
• We collected an additional 11,885 pounds of food for second harvest
through our Synaptics “Can Do Challenge”.
• Nearly 600 children participated in our Lucile Packard Kids Fun Run
Silicon Valley may consist loosely of 40 cities in portions of four
counties- but each Thanksgiving morning, we come together as one
community at the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot.