- Speaker presentations from government officials, non-profits, agencies, and advocates
- Informative briefings about Leadership Group policy advocacy
- Programmatic work
- Community events
Participating Member Companies
- BD Biosciences
- Blach Construction
- Blue Shield of California
- El Camino Hospital
- Gardner Health Services
- Gilead Sciences
- Healthy Horizons
- Intel Corporation
- Johnson & Johnson
- Kaiser Permanente
- Lam Research
- Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation
- Palo Alto University
- Regional Medical Center of San Jose
- Sequoia Hospital
- Stanford Healthcare
- Stanford University
- Sutter Health
- The Health Trust
- University of Phoenix
- Varian Medical Systems
Advance Health Care Policy
Priority: The top priority of the Health Committee for 2019 is to promote increased access, quality, affordability and cost-effectiveness within the health care system.
- Advocate for 3-4 Health Care Law Reform & Implementation issues each year, including tracking and monitoring bills, letters of support, testifying, calls to legislators, meetings with key members and staff, and highlighted priorities for Sacramento/DC advocacy trips.
- Possible Issues:
- Stemming Rate Increases
- Medi-Cal Funding, Access, & Reimbursement Rates
- Repeal of the 40% Excise Tax on High Cost Health Insurance Plan (Cadillac Tax)
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Fees
- Public Charge & Medi-Cal Funding for Undocumented Immigrants
- Possible Issues:
Priority: The Health Committee is deeply interested in advocating on behalf of the various issues within health care where there is major regional, state, or national impact and the voice of the business community will have meaningful influence. In 2019, we will host three Roundtables combined with Tours to provide a forum for Leadership Group members and policy makers to discuss issues related to health care reform and initiate a plan for advancing shared policy goals.
- Host three Roundtables combined with Tours of companies in the health care, health technology, biotechnology, and pharmaceutical spaces to educate Policymakers on the most pressing issues facing our current healthcare landscape.
Ensuring Accessible and Affordable Health Care for Everyone
In 2018, the Leadership Group was an influential voice in establishing an Advisory Panel on Health Care Delivery Systems and Universal Coverage within the state budget- a critical step in crafting effective, sustainable policy that stabilizes the health care market and provides universal access to quality care.
In 2017, the Leadership Group also served as key business voice in support of a critical Medi-Cal provider reimbursement, advocating for a successful compromise resulting in allocation of up to $546 million from Prop. 56 Tobacco Tax revenue to safety net providers.
In 2016, the Health Policy team successfully advocated for a revamped Managed Care Organization tax package that preserved more than $1.1 billion for Medi-Cal.
Promoting Prevention and Wellness
In 2016, the Health Policy Team advocated for Prop. 56, a $2 per-pack tax on cigarettes to reduce the prevalence of smokers and fund prevention and treatment.
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group and the Health Policy team advocate for local, county, state and federal health policy legislation and ballot measures based on the decisions of its Health Committee, Working Council, and Board of Directors. Both bills and ballot measures are presented to these committees for discussion and voting.